The USS Abraham Lincoln has begun its return voyage after more than nine months of deployment in the Middle East during the Iran conflict, amid growing concerns over crew fatigue, mental well-being and reported food shortages, according to a US official cited by CBS News.
The San Diego-based aircraft carrier is being relieved by the Japan-based USS George Washington, which has arrived in the region to take over operational duties, bringing an end to the Lincoln’s unusually long deployment involving around 5,000 crew members.
The Abraham Lincoln departed San Diego on November 21, 2025, and was later redirected to the Middle East after hostilities with Iran erupted in February. The carrier served as a key platform for US military operations, conducting thousands of air sorties and significantly increasing the operational demands on its crew.
The carrier’s departure comes amid concerns raised by relatives of service members over living conditions aboard the ship, including reports of fatigue, declining mental health and food shortages. Some families said personnel faced increasing emotional strain as the deployment continued.
The concerns have also drawn scrutiny from Democratic lawmakers in Washington, who have sought answers about the welfare of personnel aboard the vessel. The carrier reportedly spent more than 200 consecutive days at sea without a port call, a period lawmakers described as a modern-day record.
US defence officials, however, have rejected claims that conditions aboard the carrier deteriorated to the extent described in media reports. US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said reports of worsening conditions had been “completely misrepresented”, while Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao described the media coverage as “dishonest”.
President Donald Trump also dismissed concerns that the deployment had been excessively long. Asked on August 14 whether spending more than 260 days at sea was excessive, Trump said it was “not nearly long enough”, pointing to the arrival of another US aircraft carrier to replace the Lincoln.
Amid the focus on crew welfare, US Central Command chief Admiral Brad Cooper inspected the carrier over the weekend. In a statement issued on August 16, Cooper described the visit as “awe-inspiring” and praised the crew for its resilience.
Cooper said the carrier had recorded the lowest number of documented mental health cases among the US Navy’s 11 active aircraft carriers, attributing the figure to leadership efforts focused on crew welfare and resilience. He nevertheless acknowledged the severe strain associated with extended deployments at sea.
“Deployment at sea is uniquely challenging and tough,” Cooper said, adding that individuals respond to stress in different ways.
Navy representatives said there had been no documented increase in suicide attempts or suicidal ideation aboard the carrier. Authorities are, however, investigating an August 3 incident involving a sailor who fell overboard and was later rescued.
The end of the deployment has brought relief to families who have been waiting for the carrier’s return after months of uncertainty. Jefferson Kelley, whose son Jackson is serving aboard the ship on his first deployment, told CBS News that he was eager to see his son return home.
The carrier’s journey back to its homeport in San Diego is expected to take about three weeks.







































